Sunday, May 12, 2019

On life and dignity

Diary entry by my father on 1.6.2002
4
As long as my spirit still
Is glad of breath
And lifts its plumes of pride
In the dark face of death
While I am curious still
Of love and fame
Keeping my heart too high
For the years to tame
How can I quarrel with fate
Since I can see
I am a debtor of life
Not life of me

5
What if the bridge men built goes down
What if the torrent sweeps the town
The hills are safe, the hills remain
And hills are happy in the rain;
If I can climb the hills and find
A small cottage to my mind
A lonely but a cleanly house
With shelves too bare to tempt a mouse
Whatever years remain to me
I shall live out in dignity



Jaswant Singh Matharu

This blog is dedicated to the memory of my dear father Jaswant Singh Matharu.

In his twilight years he maintained diaries which are a glimpse into his sensitive soul.

I share the pages of one of his diaries here.

1 comment: